Research using Google Classroom~Gifted & Talented

Problem of Practice

  • How can I best reach my Gifted & Talented students with limited challenging materials that can extend their learning in a variety of different content areas? 

Who:
  • II currently have 5 Gifted & Talented students in my classroom. These students were identified as GT through a CogAT (Cognitive Aptitude Test). These students are all identified in the General Intellectual Ability strand of GT. This group of students consists of 4 boys and 1 girl. 

What: 
  • As a part of their ALP (Advanced Learning Plan), these students are required to have a project of their choice to extend their learning across the content areas. 

Below I will outline my plan for how I will best reach these students.

1. The first plan of action is for students to pick their project idea. I will start with a student interest inventory to gauge what types of things they are interested in and want to learn more about. Once they have decided on their project idea, we will move forward with the next phase. 

2. Once my students have picked their project, I will load them in to Google Classroom with a class specifically designed for them. Once they are added, I will have them create a post that tells me what their project is. 

3. I will then conference with each student to determine how they would like to present their information. This can be Google Slides, Video, or Poster. Then they can get to work! 

Then students will spend the majority of their time researching. I will work on creating some sort of template with students about what exactly they want to research and give them questions to help guide their research. They will also spend some time in the library looking for resources as well. 

Google Classroom will be used throughout the entire project to communicate with students. I plan to have frequent check-ins with students where they have to give me information on their project and where they are. I will also use a variety of multi media where they will have to communicate with me! 

Comments

  1. This is a great idea. I am a school librarian, and I bet your school librarian would love to help support you with the research, note-taking, and sense-making part of this project (I know I would if I were at your school!). An extra set of hands can always be helpful when trying to differentiate within the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie,

    I really like your project. I have a few thoughts and some questions:

    1. Can you create a time for the students in the group to colloborate together and work on their social and compromising skills?

    2. How will your students present there final projects? They may enjoy creating a project in Nearpod or Prezi depending on their giftedness.

    3. Does the CogAT identify their strength and areas of needed support?

    4. I think it may be encouraging to have the students do a mid-project presentation also. It would keep them from getting overwhelmed in research and they may enjoy teaching the other students about their research. It would also allow the other students not in the group to be motivated to do an independent project also.

    I hope that is helpful. I can't wait to hear about how it all turned out! Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stephanie!

    I have a colleague who does a similar project with her fifth graders. She calls this time Genius Hour. They are encouraged to research and create a presentation about something that they are interested in. I love that this project is student-centered and inquiry-based. One thing that I would add time for in your project is reflection. The process may be new to many of your students and I think reflection (whether written, recorded, or in conference with you) would be a great way for them to see their growth and the process that is happening. This is also a great opportunity for you to encourage a growth mindset with your students-focusing on the process not on successes or failures. I am excited to see how your project progresses!
    Mae

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Problem of Practice

My Introduction