Problem of Practice

My problem of practice stems from my GT (Gifted and Talented) students not having access to adequate challenging material to extend their learning in a variety of different areas. 

When a student in our school comes up as gifted, according to a variety of data points, we are asked to create an ALP (Advanced Learning Plan). This plan goes through their goals and activities that we want them to accomplish. We aren't really given any materials or resources. We are required to come up with these things on our own. 

This year, I currently have 5 students who are gifted and talented. They are all interested in different things and want to have different goals and activities to go along with their goal. It is difficult to come up with ideas, resources, and time for these 5 students. 

Comments

  1. Hi Stephanie,

    That must be difficult to not have direction from the school and being required to come up with an ALP. Do each of these 5 students have anything in common and are they gifted in all subjects?

    Annmarie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie,

    Gifted students are a challenge! I was a gifted student in a gifted program and I look back and wonder how our teachers survived us. There is a district near me called Tri-town and they have a gifted program that may have some suggestions that are helpful. It is the Topsfield/Middleton/Boxford district. I was a gifted student and have two gifted students in the family. They are so much work but so worth the effort. I look forward to collaborating with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stephanie,
    Have you considered using an inquiry-based approach with these kids? I have been researching it for my problem of practice and it sounds like something that would work well with the kids you are describing. This format requires that kids apply the skills that they are learning in class to solve real world problems. It would be a way to take the skills that they are learning and push them into more critical thinking about the topics. I am also thinking these kids might do well with technology applications like skyping with experts, virtual field trips, and student blogging.
    Mae

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Introduction

Research using Google Classroom~Gifted & Talented